The Director of Technology is a creative leader, responsible for overseeing the Technology Department as it relates to internal systems, websites, student portals, databases, IT infrastructure, and equipment. Prep is seeking someone who can help set our IT strategy and be a hands-on implementer. The Director will provide support across the organization, as well as foster an environment of collaboration and shared knowledge within the Technology department.
The Director of Technology reports to the Vice President for Administration.
- Leading and executing all aspects of Technology, while creating and driving the technical strategy for the organization.
- Working collaboratively across departments to understand needs and design and implement tools to optimize internal workflows, thereby enabling data analytics and facilitating student learning and engagement.
- Supervising, evaluating, and mentoring two Technology Associates focused on technology delivery and support.
- Overseeing technology training of program administrators, teachers, and counselors to meet their diverse learning needs.
- Working with external IT consulting firm in the ongoing assessment and implementation of IT infrastructure best practices, changes, and upgrades.
- Remaining current on emerging technology, innovations, and best practices while assessing benefit to the organization.
- Managing and identifying vendors and resources to meet evolving needs of the organization.
- Managing budget for Technology Department.
- Assisting Vice President for Administration with additional projects as needed.
- Bachelors of Arts and a minimum of 5+ years of experience. Background with independent schools, youth services, and K-12 organizations is a plus.
- A high-performer and self-starter with demonstrated management experience; the ability to lead and be hands-on as necessary as well as patient and even-tempered.
- Strong product/project management skills with understanding of integrated systems, databases, and software architecture.
- Very resourceful with excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills, anticipating potential issues and recommending effective solutions.
- Strong, effective, and respectful communicator with the ability to build relationships as well as collaborate with internal and external stakeholders.
- Outstanding customer service ethic and high expectations for quality.
- Dependable and flexible, demonstrating accountability by consistently serving as a responsible and trusted team player.
- Comfortable working with Executive-level management.
- Knowledge of FileMaker and Google Apps is a plus.
About Prep for Prep
Prep for Prep develops leaders from under-represented communities through access to a superior education and life-changing opportunities. Since 1978, Prep has identified New York City's most able students of color through a highly selective admissions process and, following 14 months of rigorous academic preparation, placed them at leading independent schools in the City and boarding schools throughout the Northeast. Once placed, Prep offers its students a sense of community, peer support, critical post-placement services, and a host of leadership development opportunities through college graduation. The results are compelling: more Prep students have graduated from Harvard than any other institution, and over 90% of Prep's 2,546 college graduates have earned degrees from the most competitive colleges in the country; nearly 40% have graduated from Ivy League schools. They are emerging leaders in every field from business and law, to education and the arts, to science and medicine. Prep shares its best practices with like-minded organizations through an initiative called Smart Connections. Through Smart Connections, Prep has impacted over 250,000 students around the world, including in Argentina, India, and South Africa.
Prep’s $10 million+ annual operating budget is raised each year from private sources, including from its very generous 60-member Board of Trustees. Prep has 60 full-time employees as well as part-time school year and full-time summer faculty. Prep is based on the Upper West Side of Manhattan.